Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Speaking of Mac N Cheese...

I figured, based on my earlier post, I should talk about Macaroni and Cheese.

Thats that stuff that comes with dried out elbow pasta, and dehydrated yellow powdered shit right?

Wrong.

A few weeks back I was eating in a high end restaurant having an 8 course chef's tasting. Fois Gras, Braised Pork Shank, Cioppino, local caught snapper and ... Macaroni and Cheese?

Are you serious? Fucking Mac n Cheese? In a restaurant that gladly consumes $400 dollars and three hours of my life?

I requested it specifically because, I mean come on. What the hell. However, as so often happens, I was aghast at the result.

This was no ordinary mac and cheese. No, this was truffled mac and cheese, with something crusty on top.

Now, I love recreating dishes. Who doesn't. I hadn't made mac n cheese in years so we set about seeing what we could come up.

Here's what we got. I say we, why? Because I owe this dish to the wife. We both put in our two cents to come up with it, but she is the workhorse of this side and always makes it. Therefore she gets credit.

Ok, anyway..

Ingredients:

Some form of bite size pasta. We regularly use rotini.
(FYI: Mac n cheese doesn't have to be elbow pasta)

1/2 lb Velveeta. (Yes, I know gourmet, shit right?) – cut into 1/2" chunks
2/3 cup Milk
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
Salt and Pepper
Some shredded parmesan

Finally, Either a half of a cup of soft white cheese, like Mozarella or a Cheddar. (This is a fun experiment. Try using different exotic whites for the other half of the flavor)

This recipe is very easy to make, and once you've done it, you'll forget all about those dried out pork chops and kraft mac n cheese mom used to make. (She always hated cooking for you, you little shit)

Step 1. Precook the pasta. You don't want it all the way cooked. (Al dente for you linguists) Its going to continue cooking in the cheesey goodness.

Step 2. Put about an inch of water in a double broiler. Bring to a simmer but never a boil. Mix milk, velveeta, your cheese of choice, mustard powder, turmeric and whisk until the consistency is nice and smooth.

Step 3. Add salt and pepper until the taste and consistency is what you want. Add 1 tsp of truffle oil. Whisk thoroughly. Taste. Truffle oil is some seriously powerful shit, so even though a teaspoon seems like a small amount, just trust me. If you don't have enough flavor add another tsp. I would never add more than 2 tsp to a vat of mac n cheese because not everyone might like that taste.

Step 4. Mix pasta into cheese. Allow to sit for a minute as the pasta warms.

Step 5. (Optional) Place in casserole dish and top with shredded parmesan cheese. Broil until cheese turns brown, or feel free to bake it if you're a sissy. (I'd broil it.)

Enjoy!

Note: I cannot find a picture of this. I will update the blog with an image of it as soon as I can.



add milk, cheese, mustard powder, turmeric, salt and pepper in that order. Stir with whisk until melted and smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment