Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Creamed Swiss Chard



Bored already? view the recipe without my clever commentary.

Do you ever feel like you've eaten the same shit over and over again? Like an angry 12 year old complaining about the same meal, I whine internally that I consistently employ the same starches, the same greens, and the same proteins in my meal.

"Not asparagus AGAIN hubby!" I can imagine my wife thinking.

And seriously, how many fucking ways CAN you cook snow peas?

As part of this, I shall make it my mission to find easy, green, veggie side dishes to add to any meal that tweak a different part of your palate. Why easy? Because who wants to have 3 complex-ass dishes going. And if you've spent 70 dollars on USDA prime beef, you are not gonna want to freak out over complex sides and ruin that meat. Dig?

That said, victim number 1: Swiss Chard...



A large, leafy plant, permeated by thick red stalks, its most similar to spinach.

This plant has a great flavor and can be cooked a variety of ways but I love me some creamed Spinach, so lets cream this too. Screw it, I do what I want.

Ingredients:
Swiss Chard (Duh)
1 Small clove of garlic
1-2 tbsp of olive oil.
A dash of dried crushed red pepper
1 tbsp butter
Salt
Pepper
Heavy Cream

Step 1: Rinse the Chard thoroughly. After this, I chop off the stalk at the beginnings of the leaves. After this, I chop the Chard up into around 1" strips. Like I said, I am going for a creamed spinach replacement.

Step 2: Slice up some garlic.

Step 3: In a 6-8" pan, saute some butter and olive oil over medium low heat. Once the butter has melted, add the garlic. Give it some time for the garlic to sweat.

Step 4: Toss in the chard, lower the heat, cover the pan and occasionally shake to keep the chard
from geting too hot in one place.

Step 5: After the chard has wilted, pour in about 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Don't over do it, yuo don't want it swimming in the cream, just enough to give it that extra flavor. Feel free to add more butter at this point. (I do)

Step 6: Allow the cream to reduce a bit and allow for the extra butter to mix in with the consistency. Add a bit of white pepper and salt to taste!


Enjoy!

LUCIDZTAG-Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment